The download of Qlik Sense Desktop has been removed and Qlik Sense Desktop has notified users of the change in the past months. Finally, free use of Qlik Sense Desktop will stop on June 30, 2020.
To adapt to changing customer preferences and in alignment with enterprise cloud vendors industry practice, Qlik is moving away from a ‘freemium’ model for both its cloud and desktop versions of Qlik Sense. This is in favor of a time limited trial, consistent with many other enterprise cloud vendors, and means that both Qlik Sense Cloud Basic and Qlik Sense Desktop will cease to be free. It is important to note that Qlik Sense Desktop will remain a supported part of the Qlik Sense product family.
- Can customers use Qlik Sense Business to unlock Qlik Sense Desktop? No, currently the only option is to authenticate against Qlik Sense Enterprise on Win-dows or Qlik Sense Cloud.
- Can customers use an older version of Qlik Sense Desktop and continue free use? No, all versions of Qlik Sense Desktop will no longer allow free access after June 30, 2020.
- Can customers buy Qlik Sense Desktop as a standalone product? No, to continue to use Qlik Sense you will need to subscribe to Qlik Sense.
- Can customers still use Qlik Sense Desktop for app development and/or offline access as part of a wider Qlik Sense Enterprise deployment? Yes, however you must authenticate Qlik Sense Desktop against Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows.
Further Information for Qlik Sense Desktop Users
You can still use Qlik Sense Desktop for app development and/or offline access as part of a wider Qlik Sense Enterprise deployment. Therefore you must authenticate Qlik Sense Desktop against Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows.
Authenticating against Qlik Sense Cloud
You can authenticate your Qlik Sense Desktop client against Qlik Sense Cloud. To do so, you must generate an authentication link in the hub.
- Open the hub
- Go to Settings, select Personal info
- Under Qlik Sense Desktop, click Download to download Qlik Sense Desktop
- Click Authenticate to add a server authentication link to your Qlik Sense Desk-top installation. You can then click on that link in Qlik Sense Desktop to authenticate
Authenticating against Qlik Sense Enterprise Server
If you have user access for Qlik Sense Enterprise, you can authenticate against the Qlik Sense Enterprise server when you start Qlik Sense Desktop.
In case you don’t have access, the Qlik Sense Enterprise authentication must be generated by your administrator in the Qlik Management Console. Therefore we will provide you with information about how you can receive the link using one of the following methods:
- Retrieving the client authentication link from your Qlik Sense Enterprise hub
- Receiving the client authentication link from your administrator
- Receiving a hubs.ini file from your administrator that contains the authentication link
Please note, that Qlik Sense Desktop must be installed on your computer before starting any further procedures.
We from Informatec are here to support you overall within the authenticating process.